So it seems the current health culture, is to turn unhealthy treats into healthy ones. The concept is to create a more balanced and wholesome meal out of otherwise less than ideal treats. Take regular ice cream, normally full of fat and sugar which has transformed into a healthy alternative: Banana nice cream. Or, regular cheesecakes, cakes and muffins into their healthy counterparts.
Similarly, my sweet potato chips have been ‘healthy-fied’ from salty potato hot chips. They are also super simple and quick to make.
Sweet Potato: is a root vegetable, high in Vitimin A and B Vitimins. They are also relatively fat free and low in sodium, promoting cardiac health. They also are considered Low GI, meaning they will release sustained energy over long periods of time. Perfect for a pre-workout snack!
- 1 large sweet potato
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with some baking paper.
- Rinse then slice the sweet potato lengthways. From here, chop into smaller pieces or chunks.
- Place the sweet potato chips in a bowl and toss through enough olive oil to coat and salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
- Lay flat on the baking tray and bake for 30minutes, turning them over halfway.
- Enjoy! I topped mine with some smashed avocado 🙂